SCREGMAN SAYS...

THIS IS MY GAME... SUCKING THE MARROW FROM THE BONES OF LIFE... ONE BONE AT A TIME...

Saturday, October 22, 2005

A RE-DISCOVERY...


I've recently re-discovered my comic books. The Scribbler once said they make good bathroom reading, and I agree. They've been "in storage" for many years, kept in comic book boxes and individually wrapped in plastic bags, a choice few in special "mylar" bags. These were stiffer "bags". Actually, I don't even think bag would be an accurate description. A bag is flimsy. Mylars (if they still exist) were meant to keep comics extra stiff, not let them bend that easily.

Anyway, I've decided to read my comics again. [This is all part of my "trying to get rid of things / minimization project". A blog on this topic later.] I've already read through one "maxi-series" (a 12-issue saga) and 2 "mini-series" (a 3-4 issue saga). It's interesting to go back and re-read things at different stages of life. I've read the Chronicles of Narnia in its entirety 3x-4x. I've since donated these books as I'm sure I will not be reading them again. (I hope the upcoming movie does Narnia justice.)

RE: my comic books. I won't say which ones I've read so far , but I found the writing to be extremely poor. [Again, it amazes me how attitudes and perceptions change over the years. What was once magical is now boring. What was once "a waste of time" may now deserve some reconsideration.] One of the things that has annoyed me the most while reading thru my comics is, what I consider, needless dialogue and needless thought bubbles. I think a lot of the comics of my day contained more useless drivel than the garbage out there in TV land and movie land. For example, I've seen many, many, many fights. Fighting, whether it be hand to hand, with knives, with swords, with spaceships, IS exhausting. You need your strength. Never have I seen such useless dialogue and thoughts in comic book fights. The villain says: "HAH! You're no match for my ______________". Then the hero actually takes precious moments to say something back like: "You have delayed me but a moment. I still have my ________________. You have no chance against it..." And so on and so on and so on. UGH!!!. I've got news for some of you writers out there. People who are really trying to hurt or kill each other, DO NOT talk like that in the middle of a fight. Like I said before, it takes a lot of energy to fight, and talking wastes that energy. If the illustrator is talented enough, he/she can depict the action without having some ridiculous piece of dialogue slowing the reader down.

Now, I'll admit, the comics I collected back in the 80's aren't the same as today's. As far as I know, comics have come a long way in terms of art, storytelling, depth, etc. This is definitely a good thing. There's no reason to "dumb-down" young readers. Why not give them serious issues to read about? Granted, I will not get rid of all my comics. There are a few that were groundbreaking for the time and are worth reading again and again. Whether it be the art or the story or both, there are those that stand out, and thus, are worthy of being kept. Don't worry. I don't just throw away the comics I no longer want. I "donate" them. There's an area near where I work where boxes of books are left for anyone to take. It's all free. That's where I've been leaving my comics. I usually leave them in the morning. At the end of day, as I'm walking by, I notice they're gone. That's a good thing. They shouldn't be thrown away. They should be passed on...

If someone can unlock the secrets of the universe by reading something I no longer have use for, so be it...


3 Comments:

  • At 1:41 PM, October 22, 2005, Blogger Mulysa said…

    hey.. i got 2 boys that might enjoy any comics you'd like to be free of.. if you don't mind the possibility of them eventually destroying the comics.. i think a good book is well worn, even if to its end..

     
  • At 3:52 PM, October 22, 2005, Blogger mikshir said…

    sigh, my comics are in my dad's garage. fortunately, i have enough in the way of reading material for when nature calls.

    completely agree on the unnecessary dialogue though. definitely something i really appreciated about some of the manga we read.

     
  • At 9:27 AM, October 25, 2005, Blogger Mulysa said…

    men amaze me.. how/why is it that they think it is totally ok to openly talk about what they read when they poop? or even that they read when they go? or give any indication whatsoever that they sit on the toilet long enough to need something to read? Yuck! this comment coming from someone who you recently had an in-depth conversation with regarding goose-bumps.. hee hee

     

Post a Comment

<< Home