SCREGMAN SAYS...

THIS IS MY GAME... SUCKING THE MARROW FROM THE BONES OF LIFE... ONE BONE AT A TIME...

Monday, October 24, 2005

MINI-DISC VS. IPOD


I know several people who own IPODs. They are indeed sleek, sexy, compact, and extremely easy to use (I'm talking about the IPOD, not the several people, although they are also sleek and sexy). You really can't beat the user interface; that "wheel" is just awesome. Please note that I am complimenting the IPOD. Truthfully, the only complaint I've heard is the life of its powersource. But hey, it'll only get better, right? Among my coterie, I am outnumbered. Debates have ensued, research has been done, meetings and conferences have been held, data has been compiled, tests have been done, etc., etc.

So why am I being so stubborn? Why won't I convert? Yes, one could argue that the minidisc is more "klunky" than IPOD, and I whole-heartedly agree. IPOD holds more music, too. And the access to all your music, pictures, audiobooks just can't be beat. So, here it is: for me, it all comes down to PRESERVATION. I've been a big fan of minidisc ever since it came out years ago. Finally, something to replace those horrible cassette tapes. UGH!! Always hated those, but that's what I used because that's what was available. Regardless of the supposed "quality" of the tape, things recorded always had that "muffled sound. Then came CDs, then came the minidisc. With the minidisc, I was able to preserve and archive my entire vinyl collection. The music I recorded years ago onto minidisc still sounds great. For those of you who're old enough to remember, I'm referring to 45's and 12" records. The things where the vibration of a needle along a long groove on a vinyl platter produced the sound. (I'm feeling my age here. I can barely remember 8-tracks. And now there's a generation whose first exposure to music is either the radio or CDs or maybe the Internet.)

It's all about the "LINE-IN" and the microphone. It's all about the ability to record from multiple sources. I haven't dabbled in the IPOD software, but I'm guessing that everything must come from a computer. To the best of my knowledge, an IPOD does not have a "line-in" or a microphone, features that the minidisc does have. Also, I can't get past the idea of "losing" everything once an IPOD breaks down. "Losing" may be too strong a word. IPOD owners have told me, its all in your computer. I do understand this. But I hate being "tied" to the computer. Thane of the Universe (or anybody else who happens to read this blog), perhaps you could answer this question: What is the bare minimum I would need (hardware & software) in order to get the music from a vinyl record to an IPOD? CDs are wonderful, but not everything has gone to CD, not all music has gone to CD. And then, there are perhaps live performances worth saving. With an IPOD, I cannot record from any other source but a computer. So there it is. It's all about preservation. If my minidisc player breaks down, I just buy a new player. The music on my discs is still intact. If I were to buy an IPOD, it would eventually break down (as with anything mechanical), and I'd have to transfer everything all over again from my computer. HMMMMMMMMM. A minor inconvenience, and with today's computers, it probably wouldn't take very long, but a point of contention with me, nonetheless.

I can only hope that minidisc, although not the most popular format, will be here for at least as long as I am.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LINE-IN...
IT'S ALL ABOUT PRESERVATION...


5 Comments:

  • At 8:08 PM, October 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Screg,

    Do I dare suggest that you've already adulterated one medium in favor of another? Transferring from vinyl to cd cannot be much worse than transfering from CD to mpegs. Can it? Let's work backwards from our online journal, to written journal, to spoken word as means of conveying our thoughts and ideas from one to another.

    I do understand your passion for preserving one form, but, does that preclude you from enjoying the next generation of technology?

    Bring your minidiscs over and let's see if you can load those into itunes. If so, that further honors the music of generations past.

    Come on Screg, come over to the dark side, it's sleek and sexy over here!

     
  • At 12:56 PM, October 25, 2005, Blogger mikshir said…

    I have a LOT to say on the topic, as scregie knows. But I won't just yet.

    Q: "What is the bare minimum I would need (hardware & software) in order to get the music from a vinyl record to an IPOD?"
    A: basically...
    hardware: a turntable+amp, a computer.
    software: an audio recording program and iTunes.

    The wonderful thing about minidisc recorders and some other mp3 drives is that you can bypass the need for the computer. On the spot recording is a nice thing. That is one of his points. I can agree with that.

    iPod designers intentionally excluded a line-in or microphone but graciously allows users to spend an extra $50 to buy a crippled means of recording at a rate just suitable for intelligibility but by no means quality enough to record your records or other live hi-fi audio.

    I think in the future, every microphone will have to be credit-card activated with sat-wireless so that you will be billed if you are recording and the microphone is within 100 feet of a musical instrument.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, October 27, 2005, Blogger Kilatzin said…

    Scregman, there are services out there that will transfer a vinyl to CD for you. It's hella expensive, so I would reserve it for only those albums you absolutely have to have. But you won't have to worry about setting up your computer to do this. However, the pain isn't in the setup, it's in the tweaking/EQ ing.

     
  • At 12:22 PM, April 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    I am collecting several articles / rants / raves about the Sony minidisc technology.

    May I include your post in my blog? It will be included with your credit and, of course, a link to your original article.

    Thank you very much.

    Dan

    http://www.highfidelitydigital.com/digital/

     
  • At 12:55 PM, April 24, 2006, Blogger ScregMan said…

    Dan,

    Be my guest...

    I am one of the few "hold-outs" who refuses to get an IPOD.

    I'm hoping that the minidisc following is strong enough to keep minidisc alive for at least my lifetime.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home