SCREGMAN SAYS...

THIS IS MY GAME... SUCKING THE MARROW FROM THE BONES OF LIFE... ONE BONE AT A TIME...

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

MOLESKINE...


Oh, how I wish I'd known about the Moleskine notebook in my younger years. I could only imagine what it would be like if I had boxes of these gems, filled with my thoughts and daily activities, from years (nay... decades) gone by. I picture myself years from now, memory failing, but having these little notebooks to drop back on, to help me remember what I did with my life. I envy those who have kept some kind of continuous journal throughout their years. I even would've used the Moleskine notebook to takes notes when I was in college.

Again, I must give credit where credit is due. It was Thane of the Universe (TofU) who turned me onto these pocket notebooks. I've tried keeping journals. I've used spiral notebooks, sketch pads, etc. But I never kept it up. Never did like the "feel" of using regular notebooks or sketch pads. Last year TofU referred me to the Moleskine website. I was intrigued. Moleskine claims that many famous artists used this product. I don't know if it's true or not. There are those who think the popularity of this product has been overblown by association to famous people. I really don't know, and I'm not going to do the research to find out. Regardless of the Moleskine's history, I jumped in. I called around to several bookstores and bought three.

After a few days of writing, I was hooked. It's small, it's convenient, and it's durable. Obviously, I don't think it's waterproof or fireproof, but it can take a beating. And I am writing this because I recently finished another Moleskine. In fact, it survived a trip to Spain earlier this year. There's nothing like kicking back in a foreign country while listening to my favorite music via MINIDISC and writing (or drawing). When I look back, there are many details I would have otherwise forgotten had I not written them down. The names of different places... little factoids, myths, and legends... the names and addresses of people we crossed paths with... specific conversations, etc. etc.

Nowadays, I find myself writing in restaurants while waiting for my order, or in movie theatres before a movie. In fact, I was in front of a movie theatre last night when I finished my Moleskine.

The only complaint I have (and this is such a minor issue): I wish there was some way to attach a writing implement to the notebook. But then something would be lost. It's already "perfect" in my opinion. Finding a way to attach something would mess with the size.

My Moleskine pocket notebook goes pretty much where ever I go. I look forward to when I take it to Italy next year...


5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home