SCREGMAN SAYS...

THIS IS MY GAME... SUCKING THE MARROW FROM THE BONES OF LIFE... ONE BONE AT A TIME...

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

FROM FIREFLY TO SERENITY... LEAVE THEM WANTING


[Once again, I must thank Tormented Soul for recommending Firefly. And let's not forget GMF. He was kind enough to loan me the series.]

Yes, I'm a sci-fi geek. Big (relatively) Star Wars fan, all Star Trek variations, Battlestar Galactica, etc. Anything with spaceships and robots and lasers, I'll take a chance on.

Firefly was a short-lived "sci-fi western". I guess it aired on Fox on Friday nights. Of course, Friday night is considered the "imminent death" time slot, especially for a brand new series. I had no idea the series even existed. After getting past the music and setting of Firefly, I realized that this was a quality show. Don't worry, I won't summarize the series. Aside from the special effects, I liked the characters and their little quirks, how they interacted with eachother, they're different backgrounds, the majority of the storylines, and even the overall arc. Unfortunately, Firefly was cancelled. I think only 12 episodes aired. The DVD set has all 14 eps. I heard they weren't even aired in order. Does that make any sense? I watched the DVDs, so at least I saw them in order. And I got to know the characters and thus, became invested in the series. I can only assume the show was cancelled because of weak ratings. [Does anybody out there have the real scoop on how a network rates its shows? Is Big Brother watching what we watch? Are there sensors in our cable box? Does someone (possibly in a foreign country) call individual households and ask about viewing habits?]

Regardless, the movie Serenity brought some decent closure to the series. I suppose there was just enough of a fan base to make this possible. Movie was good. It could stand alone, but it's so much better if you've seen the series first.

So what's the point? It's good to see shows end on a high note. Obviously, if a show is doing really good, it'll be on the air for awhile. But then, in general, shows eventually lose their steam, the ratings go down until the show sees its final episode/season. It's kind of sad when a show starts to go down (storylines get old, special guest stars make appearances, an entire show may be based on flashbacks, etc.). At least if you're left wanting, you'll have nothing but good things to say.

The show was already good in my opinion. I honestly feel it would've gotten even better had it had a chance to evolve.

So...

Did they do it right by cancelling Firefly? No. Because I've been left wanting...


Did they do it right by cancelling Firefly? Yes. Because I've been left wanting...



2 Comments:

  • At 7:45 PM, October 26, 2005, Blogger mikshir said…

    My answers: Firefly was done right. The network that cancelled it was wrong.

    The true unfortunate aspect of all this is that Firefly would probably have continued if it were on the SciFi channel. There, a 3 million viewer rating is considered awesome. On a normal big broadcast network, it's good but so-so when compared to the cost of the series. There are reality-type shows that have similar ratings but are allowed to continue since they're dirt cheap to make.

    The win-win situations was for them to sell the series to a cable channel (but NOT TNT)

     
  • At 7:18 AM, October 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is somewhat unrelated, but, we've had sportsnight dvds sitting by our front door waiting for brian to take tem to you during bowling. We also have arrested development taht we eed to give you. Remind us if you remember

     

Post a Comment

<< Home