SCREGMAN SAYS...

THIS IS MY GAME... SUCKING THE MARROW FROM THE BONES OF LIFE... ONE BONE AT A TIME...

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

AUDIO BOOKS... THE WRITTEN WORD VS THE NARRATED WORD


I LUV AUDIO BOOKS...

For those people on the road a lot, on the plane a lot, or who just don't have the time to sit down and read anymore, I urge you to give the audio book a try (if you have not already done so).


I know audio books have been around for awhile, but I didn't like the medium. I'm talking about cassettes. YUCK. However, now that a lot more books are being released on CD, I've really taken to listening rather than reading.

Audio books are a great diversion from music. We all have our IPODS (or MINIDISCS) filled with our favorite music, but even that gets boring sometimes. Thus, I turn to the audio book. Whether I'm stuck in traffic or shopping at Vons, I've usually got at least one audio book with me. They make housework (cleaning, doing laundry, folding laundry, cooking, etc.) more tolerable. I'm usually listening while I prepare my breakfast in the mornings. However, unless you've got a fairly powerful volume (and quality earphones), listening as you shred paper or vacuum are kind of iffy.

The Narrator / Reader
The narrator is oh so important. It's great if he/she can put some emotion into the reading, some feeling. I've listened to some books where the reader just read. No emotion, no feeling, no nothing. UGH. In fact, I'm trying to get through one right now. I like the premise, but the reader is driving me crazy. I find myself checking the display on my player to see how many more hours are left before the end. I will finish it, though. I WILL. But the narrator has actually detracted from the story. I probably would enjoy the story more if I read it myself. There are probably 2-3 audio books that were done so poorly that I had to stop in the middle. Either they were poorly written to begin with, or the reader crucified the work, or there were weird and idiotic sound effects in the background, or some combination of the previous three. Really, it's up to the narrator to bring the story to life. There are many good readers out there, but the best books I've had the pleasure of listening to are the Harry Potter ones. Absolutely astounding. Jim Dale just doesn't read, HE PERFORMS (credit to kilatzin). If Harry Potter's not your cup of tea, so be it, but you'd be missing out on an incredible performance. Dramatizations are a slightly different flavor, with various characters/voices and such. I enjoy these too, if they're done right. Voices have to be unique, and the names of characters are usually said more often than if it were a visual story. (BTW Mulysa, I think you're a great story-teller)

What's Wrong...
But, as with all things I consider "good" and "worthy" of my attention, there are little things that annoy me. There are things that they're just not doing right. One of the things is recording a CD with 1 (one... ONE...ONE!!!) track that is 70+ minutes long. That is ridiculous. That is utterly imbecile. I mean... COME ON!!! A 70 MINUTE TRACK?!!! On the other side of the spectrum, I've listened to CDs that have 99 tracks. 99 TRACKS!! It is ludicrous to have to search through 99 tracks of audio. And each track is only 30-35 seconds long. HRRMMPH!! I just don't get it. On top of that, I've heard of MP3 files that are 5+ hours long. WTF!!!

What's Right...
Tracking every 3-5 minutes makes it convenient and easy to scan thru.

Reading vs Listening...
Some people look down on audio books, and I don't know why. Obviously, it IS a different experience. You're using different body parts, etc. etc. But the essense of storytelling remains the same. The author has constructed a world for the reader/listener to enter and enjoy. Also, for those who are too high and mighty to listen to a story, let me remind you that before paper and pencil, before the printed word, stories (and legends and myths and knowledge and culture and history) were passed down ORALLY. So please... get off your high horse. Listening and knowing how to listen well are skills that a lot of people think they have, but truly don't.

Abridged vs Unabridged...
I DO NOT BELIEVE IN ABRIDGED VERSIONS. I don't care to do the research, but if someone else knows why there are abridgements, you can enlighten me. For now, I'll just assume that the abridgement is the creation of some idiot(s) who felt maybe a story could do without certain chapters or sections. Perhaps that's true. But who are these people to decide what gets cut? (On another note, it annoys me to no end to watch a movie, and then later find out that there's a "Director's Cut" out there. AAARRRGH!) I can't stand abridgements. I CAN'T STAND ABRIDGEMENTS. Makes me feel like I'm missing something. I don't understand the logic behind abridgements. Are they for people who don't have time to read? Abridgements are usually still pretty thick, so it doesn't make sense. Why don't they let ME be the judge. Why tamper with an author's work? Let the masses be the judge. Let us determine if the story was good or not, if it dragged on too much, if it went off on too many tangents...

ScregMan... The Reader...
ScregMan... The Listener...
Reading has always been an on-and-off thing for me. I'd read for several years, then stop, then get back into it again. Having majored in English, I did my share of reading. [Thank you, Cliff's Notes.] I can remember taking 3-4 English classes per semester and having to speed read through 7-10 rather thick novels in one semester. (Dare I say that entire novels have been read in the bathroom [that one's for you, mulysa].)

But sitting down and reading for 1/2 hour or one hour has become more and more difficult. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did read for 1/2 - 1 hour. Maybe I'm just tired or I'd rather be doing other things. Sure, there are 24 hours in a day. Sure, if I can find time to brush my teeth every night, then I should be able to find time to read. All those great people, those great leaders, those inventors, those writers, those painters... they all had 24 hrs a day just like we do. Rather than watch 1/2 hour of TV, I suppose I could read instead. [But I've got so many movies in my Netflix queue...]

I've thought about this for awhile, and the earliest audio story I can remember came from a cassette I'd checked out (years ago) from the library. It was a ghost story... one of those "Things That Go Bump In The Night" deals. Don't even remember the whole story. Something about a creature attacking people. At one point, a man is struggling in the dark with this creature. When he finally subdues it and turns on the lights, he beholds... NOTHING... Eventually, they encase the creature in something like cement in order to determine its shape, etc. Of course, it dies in the process. They determine it to be a goon. Humanoid, but feeding on human flesh. Anyway, that's my earliest recollection of an audio book.

During my Spain trip earlier this year, I'd brought several audio books. Ironically, I found it hard to listen to them. On the plane or on a bus, I'd drift off (sometimes to sleep) and find that several chapters had gone by. So, for the most part, I just listened to music.

I went through a Stephen King phase years ago. If you ever want to read just one of his stories, I recommend The Stand. And don't rely on the TV adaptation, read the damn book. Went through a Star Wars phase. Have read the Chronicles of Narnia 3-4x. Currently re-reading my comic books from years ago. I'm also slowly making my way through a Sociology textbook.

I'll read or listen to just about anything: horror, sci-fi, fantasy, biography, history...

For now, though, it is the audio book that takes precedence...

[linestepper... once I see your list on-line, rest assured I'll be hitting you up for more listening material...]



7 Comments:

  • At 5:59 PM, November 02, 2005, Blogger mikshir said…

    Excellent.

    RE convenience: wholeheartedly agree. the only time reading is preferential to listening is when there is something visual or graphical on the page, or when the book is more referential or possibly instructional.

    RE narrator: agree again. one reason i got my iPod was to check out more podcasts. most utterly suck, even from authors i like, due to them not being good at voicing their work. a lot of the stuff is just junk anyhow.

    RE abridged: should never be allowed. i read an excusee that abridged audio is released first because it's quicker to make. i don't buy it. someone had to devote time to abridging in the first place.

    RE single vs. 5-min tracks: a few weeks ago i would have agreed with you. now that i have an ipod, a single track makes much more sense than multiple ones. BUT ONLY AFTER DOWNLOADING. on the CD it makes absolutely no sense at all.

    reason: on an ipod you can save your place, listen to other stuff, and when you come back resume where you left off. with multiple tracks you'd have to manually remember which track you last listened to. with minidiscs or cd's you need this because once you swap out the media you can't go back to where you left off automagically. so there one needs tracks to approximately resume where you left off.

     
  • At 8:29 PM, November 02, 2005, Blogger Kilatzin said…

    well, since wifey is putting baby to sleep, i have a chance to slap down my two cents.

    RE: convenience. linesteppa will agree with me on this one. good audiobooks are made for long drives. to follow mikshir's line of logic, comics are my main form of reading these days, and if you're smirking to yourself, listen . . . American superhero comics (particularly DC) can be somewhat difficult to get through and require a lot of time and effort to process the images. We're talking heavily worked over photoshop images with VERY high end printing techniques. Shove Infinite Crisis No. 1 in normal people's faces and watch them get either lost or confused at the dizzying array of images bombarding their poor undoctrinated minds. It's kinda like free form or esoteric jazz. a small band of rabid, devoted followers can make perfect sense of what's going on, but it's just noise to everyone else.

    That's why Manga is so popular these days. Much clearer storytelling. Much better flow to the stories.

    where was I?

    oh yeah.

    Re: narrator. check. the best produced podcast outside of NPR or PRI programming, is the Slate daily podcast. but those last for only 10 minutes a pop or so. a webinar i attended said that to do a VERY decent podcast usually requires a couple of thousand bucks in equipment and studio time. most podcasts are home grown and stink of it. so in terms of listenability and quality, audiobooks still rule.

    RE: abridged. There's only ONE instance where I felt abridgement would have helped a podcast. That's the Bill Clinton autobiography. 16 to 20 hours of endless policy debates and party squabbles when all we really want to know is why is he such a horndog?
    At least the narrator kinda sounds like him.

    RE: the 5 minute track issue: A good number of audiobooks I download from Audible.com have preset breaks that will allow you to skip every chapter/hour or so. It does help, especially with the 5 hour single file audiobooks. Screg, just get an ipod or some other mp3 player. please. it'll be worth it. stop being tied to the damn obsolete hardware and join us in the new modern age. or don't. if you want to continue to suffer, than it's entirely up to you.

     
  • At 9:15 AM, November 03, 2005, Blogger Mulysa said…

    damn.. i need to get a desk job so i can blog and comment at long lengths throughout the day. you guys are killin' me.

     
  • At 10:01 PM, November 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oooooooh, someone sounds a little defensive. you 'regular' folks with your 'regular' sized brains couldn't possibly input all the images from comic books. me thinks you doth protest too much against being labeled a nerd.

    but, being someone who hasn't read comic books, i cannot say whether i would be overloaded.

    an actual comment on the blog will have to follow later. love the topic. i'm just trying to get caught up on all the action.

     
  • At 12:37 PM, November 04, 2005, Blogger Kilatzin said…

    dude, i showed a comic (JLA/Avengers #4) to several people in the office. they couldn't make heads nor tails out of it. dude, what i'm saying is that superhero comics aren't the most readable comics out there. today's artists get all baroque with their panel layouts, making it a little difficult which panel starts and which one ends.

    didn't want it make it seem like little brained people can't read comics. well, maybe i did . . . but I think if people had to choice between reading a DC superhero comic and sucking balls (hee hee) then I think sucking balls (hee hee) would come much easier to them.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, November 04, 2005, Blogger Mulysa said…

    i was an "archie" reader myself.. i always saw myself as a brunette betty...

     
  • At 12:31 AM, November 05, 2005, Blogger Mulysa said…

    awww... screg.. do you really think i'm a good story teller? that's so sweet. i really don't think i am, since i always seem to go on these totally unrelated tangents, and then get lost.. i think i might be more entertaining rather than good at storytelling.. but thank you. i'm glad someone thinks so.



    or are you just brown nosing so that i don't hit you up on a prank? oh, you are, aren't you?! that's it!!! you're gonna get slammed real soon, buddy... tryin' a pull a fast one me, are ya? huh? are ya? ha! well we'll see about that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home