SCREGMAN SAYS...

THIS IS MY GAME... SUCKING THE MARROW FROM THE BONES OF LIFE... ONE BONE AT A TIME...

Sunday, November 20, 2005

STAR WARS... [2]


Part the Second: The End of an Era... The End of the Saga

Of course I don't mean the Star Wars franchise is at an end. Far from it. I predict there is still much milking to be done, books to be written, cartoons to be animated, etc. etc.

[I have yet to hear a good Star Wars audio book. All the audio books I've heard have been pretty bad. The narrator usually stinks and they put ridiculous sound effects (lasers, light sabres, etc.) in the background that actually detract from the story itself, making it more laughable then anything else. If you want to read some good Star Wars novels, I've always been impressed with Timothy Zahn's stuff.]

For this blog, I am referring to the movies. When Star Wars: A New Hope came out in 1977, I was eight years old. [Has it been that long already?] Imagine that. It's taken nearly 30 years to complete the story. And I'm so very glad it happened during my life. This is kind of a morbid thought, but I wonder, of those who were 40-60 years old back in 1977, how many of them lived to see the final chapter? I recently bought the first Star Wars trilogy on DVD and enjoyed watching them again. The Star Wars saga is one of the very, very, very few things where the magic is still there for me.

I was at the theatre on opening night, May 18, 2005. But I wasn't there to see Revenge of the Sith. I was there to see Kung Fu Hustle for the second time (I thought it was that good). Revenge would begin at 12:01AM. Outside the theatre, there was a massive line. Among the normally dressed people, I saw light sabres, Star Wars shirts, Jedi Knights, laser pistols, etc. Perhaps some of you may think: "Get a life..." or "What a bunch of geeks..." Well, as a Star Wars fan, I guess I'd fall somewhere in the middle, although it's all relative. I'm not so obsessed that I would "camp-out" in front of a box-office for several days just to be the first to get a ticket. At the same time, though, I have seen all the Star Wars movies (except Phantom Menace, YUCK!) a countless number of times.

Excerpt From ScregMan's Moleskine:
12:08AM Thursday, 5/19/05 At AMC... Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith has opened. Waiting for HotFudge. I Just saw Kung Fu Hustle again. 9:55 showing. HotFudge saw Amytiville Horror. The environment is excited with an extreme air of anticipation. People have light sabres, ray guns, Jedi Robes, shirts, helmets. I see 3 security guards. Maintain presence, even though sheer numbers could overwhelm them. Long line earlier. Called TofU. People running, buying concessions. Wouldn't waste time buying concessions. Cheering in the theatres...

========================================================

E-Mail to TofU [sent Friday 5/20/05 11:43AM]
Subject: On the Outside Looking In
Greetings TofU,

So you went and saw Revenge of the Sith... I am jealous. I'll try to catch it next week. Based on your text message to me, I'm assuming the excitment and jubilee surrounding Episode 3 was just as strong over there as I witnessed over here. If you will recall the last time we spoke, I was at the...theatres to see Kung Fu Hustle before it leaves the big screen.

ToFu, the excitement, frivolity, and anticipation I observed is/was phenomenal. After Kung Fu Hustle ended, I went out to the lobby. It was packed. I saw fans in Jedi robes, I saw ray guns, I saw light sabres, I saw Star Wars shirts galore. And I must admit, I was jealous. I was on the outside looking in. I wanted to be on the inside looking out. After a few minutes of observation, I realized I should be writing in my Moleskine. I sat down and jotted down some observations and what not. In retrospect, I wish I had made plans to see it on opening night. Events come and go to be sure, but this is the last Star Wars. THE LAST STAR WARS... Instead of waiting (like I always do), I should have plunged into it. There was cheering in the theatres. There was a countdown. People in line at the concession stands were getting annoyed because the line was moving too slowly. Those who had already purchased food were literally running back to their designated theatre. People without food were also running. I wanted to be part of it. I should have been part of it. (I kinda like the Jedi robes myself.)

HotFudge's comment: "Ain't nobody gotta carry on like this."

In defense of all the hoopla, I tried to explain: "You don't understand the whole Star Wars phenomenon. I grew up with Star Wars, and this is the last one. If I had the opportunity, I would've been standing in line..., I'd be in the theatre."

"I grew up with it too," was her response.

"No, there's a distinction," I said. "TofU and I are fans. We've seen Star Wars a gajillion times and can quote and can recognize quotes from the movies. You're just a casual watcher."


HotFudge shook her head.


But it's all relative. I do consider myself a Star Wars fan, but I'm sure a lot of die-hards I saw that night could put me to shame in terms of their knowledge of the Star Wars universe. I wish I had kept the original Star Wars toys from my youth. If memory serves, I had the Millenium Falcon and the X-Wing. Those toys are now long gone...

Anyway, I feel like I've lost the opportunity to experience something, an excitement I've not felt since...

Darth ScregMan stops in midsentence, turns, and quickly leaves the hangar bay, black cape flowing behind him...

===============================================

Movies I'm absolutely aching to see:
- Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
- Superman... I saw a trailer and it looks AWESOME!!! [That's the geek in me talkin']



2 Comments:

  • At 10:33 AM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Kilatzin said…

    dude, i feel the same way about comics, but I think i'm a little more conflicted about it than you are about star wars.

    whenever i go to the comiccon opening day or preview night, i repeatedly tell myself, "what the hell am i doing here? I actually took some vacation days to be here." it's two hours of introspective self-loathing, the likes you probably have never even seen.

    "hey look, a hot chick. what kind of self respect does she have to allow her boyfriend/husband/jailer to drag her to this pitiful cattle-drive like morass of human waste."

    then i go inside and spend $400 bucks on man dollies.

    i had to skip last year, cuz of my son (the first of many guilt trips I will hold over his growing head.) I really felt that outside-looking-in wistfulness that screg wrote about.

    on a brighter note, BOY THAT SUPERMAN IS GONNA BE GOOD!!! I was literally creaming over my giddiness!!!

     
  • At 1:13 PM, November 21, 2005, Blogger ScregMan said…

    Egads!! What happened to the formatting of my blog? I noticed the same thing happened with kilatzin's blog: the links and other stuff on the right side have been shoved to the right hand corner...

    Does anybody know how to fix this?

    TofU.....?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home