SCREGMAN SAYS...

THIS IS MY GAME... SUCKING THE MARROW FROM THE BONES OF LIFE... ONE BONE AT A TIME...

Friday, January 20, 2006

THE RARE... THE RAW...


[This blog is dedicated to Clark & Mulysa (Linesteppa the Second)...]

Ladies and gentlemen, fellow bloggers, and anybody else who has stumbled onto [or into] this insignificant section of the World Wide Web...

I have said this many times, and I will say it again: There is nothing too trivial... There is nothing too trivial for the Internet. I believe that anything, whether fact or fiction, truth or lie, degenerate or uplifting, horrifying or beautiful, can be found somewhere on the Internet. I MEAN ANYTHING...

That being said, the case before us today is the RAW VS RARE issue.

RAW VS RARE...

For those of you could care less about this topic, stop reading now, for this is trivia and the trivial at its best. The inane at its finest. If your curiousity has been piqued, then read on...

------------------------------------------

Some Background
I love a rare steak. I LOVE A RARE STEAK!!. [Not sirloin, though...BLEH!!] A New York strip, a rib-eye, or prime rib, with just the right amount of seasoning... still reddish-pink on the inside... perhaps with some fried onions and mushrooms and aujoir sauce or horseradish. To me, it's a beautiful sight. To my eyes, my nose, my stomach... To me, a rare steak is a work of art.

My love of rare is relative. Not everybody loves rare. I don't expect everybody to love rare. All I ask is that the concept be acknowledged as a separate stage of cooking.

But there are those who are repulsed by any pinkish or reddish hue within a steak. There are those who gag, scoff, ridicule, jeer, scorn, scowl, or roll their eyes at rare steak lovers like me.

There are those who believe that RARE = RAW.

RARE = RAW
RARE EQUALS RAW
RARE IS RAW
RARE IS THE SAME AS RAW
RARE IS EQUAL TO RAW

I say HRRMPH!! This debate has gone on long enough.

Ladies and Gentlemen, my goal is to convince you that there is enough difference between raw and rare that they are not the same. I will attempt to disprove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, this equation: RAW = RARE.

--------------------------------------

Argument #1
A thesaurus is basically a dictionary of synonyms. A synonym is a word that has a meaning identical or very similar to that of another word in the same language. I looked up the words RAW and RARE in three different thesauruses. Neither of them cross-referenced each other. If RAW = RARE, wouldn't RARE be a synonym for RAW and vice versa? This does not appear to be the case.

--------------------------------------

Argument #2
I looked in several dictionaries and came up with the following definitions:


  • RAW - Not cooked; uncooked.

  • RARE - Cooked so that the inside is still red; having a portion relatively uncooked; not cooked through; cooked a short time to retain juice and redness.

  • COOK - To prepare food for eating by means of heat; prepare food.

Now, you may believe I have lost the argument because the word "uncooked" appears in the definition of RARE. Taken out of context, you might be able to make a case, but taking things out of context is a cheap way to try to make a point. However, if you look at the spirit of the definitions, you will see a distinct difference between RARE and RAW. RAW is NOT COOKED. The definition of RARE contains the word "cooked". Even though the words "uncooked" and "not cooked through" appear, these are relative. The definition of RARE implies that some cooking has already taken place. Perhaps not all the way through, but the fact that the outer parts of the steak have been cooked means the steak can no longer be considered RAW. For something to be RAW, it must be uncooked. For something to be RARE, it must be cooked to some degree.

-----------------------------------------------

Argument #3
Whenever I order a steak at a restaurant, I am always asked: "How would you like your steak?" My obvious answer is: "As rare as you can legally make it." By definition, I am not asking for a raw steak. And in all my years of eating out, I have never been to a restaurant where the choices for steak were: RAW, RARE, MEDIUM, WELL. The fact that RAW is excluded from the choices shows that it is not the same as RARE. If you try to argue that RAW is not included because it is the same as RARE, then I challenge you to order a steak and ask for it RAW. Not RARE, but RAW. I would be interested in the outcome of such a transaction. I would also hope you take a picture of the server's facial expression(s). Actually, I should mention a certain incident that took place at a restaurant. I was with HotFudge, Mulysa (Linesteppa II), and Lotus. When I tried to order a rare New York Strip steak, the waitress told me I'd have to sign something stating I would not hold the restaurant responsible if I got sick. As unique as the situation was, it has no bearing on the issue at hand. But I felt it worth mentioning nonetheless.

--------------------------------------------------

Is it possible for a steak to be part cooked and part raw? Sure. Of course. But once that steak touches that heated pan or grill, and that first (thin) layer of meat gets cooked, that steak can no longer be called raw. Even if most of the steak is still raw, the fact that part of it is already cooked negates the raw argument. It might not be edible. It might not be safe to eat, but a partially cooked steak cannot be considered raw anymore.

Now, my arguments assume a certain amount of logic and reason. For example, I assume that any steak I order will be cooked on a grill or stove or some other device that is meant to cook. I would not expect my steak to be cooked in someone's armpit, or on the hood of a car with the engine running, or on the sidewalk in direct sunlight. No, one must assume a certain amount of sanity and rationale.

-----------------------------------------------

If you agree, excellent. If you found my arguments sound, outstanding.

If you are still not persuaded, if you found my position weak, then the debate is on...


Let the good fight begin.....


6 Comments:

  • At 1:27 PM, January 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hear hear my good man. Points well argued. I liken the raw v. rare argument to the situation that occurs with electrically produced light.

    Raw is an all or none property. Meat is either cooked or not, a light is either on or off.

    Once heat is applied to the flesh, it is cooked. Once the light switch is flipped, the light is on.

    Now, cooked can be measured on a continuum (sp?). To what degree is the flesh cooked? The inside may be considered raw, relative to the outside. Relative. That whole of meat can now be considered cooked. Yes, it can be cut apart, some being considered cooked, some considered raw; however, the previous whole has been changed. Some of it's proteins have been denatured, it's been cooked to some degree.

    With the light, once the switch is flipped, current passed through, it is on. However, how much on? How many volts are passing through? Maybe the dimmer is set extremely low. Regardless, is has passed the all or nothing criteria and can now be measured on a continuum. The filaments are glowing, it's just a matter of how brightly.

    So, suck on it!

     
  • At 2:04 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger mikshir said…

    So along with that continuum reasoning, any amount of heat (such as, say, breathing heavily on the raw meat, or perhaps hovering a lit cigarette above it) suddenly makes it rare. I'll buy that. But what that means, for all intents and purposes, is that rare is raw to me.

    If there's not enough heat exposure to kill and eradicate all the bacteria, tapeworm, and other evil micro-organisms, then it can at best be called undercooked and at worst, raw... with respect to meat, and only in my humble opinion.

     
  • At 8:15 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okay, so let's extreme. I guess any heat sufficient enough to cause the denaturing of proteins could be considered a cooking process. However, there is a general consensus that 'rare' means an internal temperature of 140 degrees. Hotly breathed upon steak must be described by another adjective. Feel free to create one that tickles your fancy.

    As with the light analogy, once turned on, you can measure it in lumens or watts, whatever you prefer. But merely being 'on' doesn't not mean it is outputting 20 lumens just as merely being cooked does not mean t is 'rare'.

    Now, to put you all at ease, a study by the University of Nottingham, UK, found that steaks spiked with e.coli, cooked to the 'rare' criteria, showed no bacterial infection after cooking.

    For those worried about bacterial infection, stick to rare steaks rather than rare ground hamburger. With hamburger, the e. coli bacteria is ground throughout the meat, where sufficient heat cannot penetrate unless cooked to 180 degrees.

    For more food safety:

    Keep potatoes that have baked in foil hpot oir refrigerate until serving (botulism

    Don't eat undercooked hamburgers; be careful of alfafa sprouts, lettuce and unpasteurized milk; and don't gulp pool water in underchlorinated public pools (e.coli)

    Don't eat foods containing raw eggs (cookie dough, homemade ceasar salad dressing), cook eggs thoroughly, wash hands after handling reptiles or handling eggs and thoroughy cook poultry.

    Also, check the National Institutes of Health website.

     
  • At 6:36 PM, January 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yo kenny boy. where the f*&k are you? all your raw v. rare talk and not a peep.

    c'mon, throw down.

     
  • At 7:28 AM, January 25, 2006, Blogger Kilatzin said…

    You know . . . I'm somewhat shocked.

    Screg laid down a wonderful argument. And I thought there would be more of a debate. But everyone seems more or less in agreement.

    I take my anticipation. This debate sucks.

    okay, just to be gross . . . let's take this argument another place.

    say for instance, i'm at a communal locker room shower with a bunch of dudes, lathering up . . .

    (lotus is saying "i'm listening. go on.")

    I drop my soap.

    (lotus is heaving "yes. . . yes. . . don't stop . . .")

    Upon reaching down for it, a guy slips and falls on my back, the tip of his member briefly touching the surface of my butt crack. Not fully penetrating. Just a light brush.

    Does that constitute a gay act?

    (lotus is now typing quickly typing a reply.)

    just for the record, I don't really like my steak rare. The most I'll do is medium rare. It's just that I consider, like Screg, "rare" is a form of "cooked".

    lotus, is that enough of a throw down for ya?

     
  • At 5:50 PM, January 25, 2006, Blogger ScregMan said…

    Lotus... Thank you so much for your support.

    TofU... I'm not sure if you support the argument or not. Or were you throwing an Ockam's Razer concept in just to muddle things a tad...

    Well, Clark... You demanded it and in movie jargon, it appears to be a "box-office" flop. C'est la vie. There are many other blogs to be posted, more comments to be made, more debates to be broadcast, more battles to be fought...

    Your question about the constitution of a gay act... Well... Ronin will meditate for now...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home