SCREGMAN SAYS...

THIS IS MY GAME... SUCKING THE MARROW FROM THE BONES OF LIFE... ONE BONE AT A TIME...

Friday, February 23, 2007

CHAIN OF EVENTS...


The current piece of music I keep repeating in my car and in my portable player is "Pompeii" by E.S. Posthumus, off their album "Unearthed". [I'm too lazy to put any links, but if you do a search, I'm sure you can find a sample of their work.]

It got me thinking how I actually found E.S. Posthumus...

Of course, I could start on the day I was born and trace significant events up to the point I first heard "Pompeii"... Or maybe I could start when my parents first met...

NOT!

So I'll start with A-ha. A-ha [for those of you who don't know] was one of those "one-hit-wonders" from the 80's. In my opinion, it was their video for "Take On Me" that made them a hit. I just love that video. [I would love to get my hands on a clear DVD version of that video.] So one day, I did a Google search for the video. My search led me to youtube.com. Now, you can call me a caveman if you want. I always knew youtube.com existed, but I didn't really know what it was all about. After browsing this site for the past few days, I've seen some really cool, kick-ass things, and other things that lead me to believe that there are tons and tons and tons of people out there with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands. Needless to say, I did find the video for "Take On Me", and have been enjoying it whenever the urge hits me.

A few days ago, I did a search for "Shaolin Soccer" on youtube. I own the DVD, but hadn't seen it in awhile. I wanted to see if anyone had uploaded the soccer scenes. And, of course, many people had. [Nothing is too trivial for the Net.] I clicked on one, and was very pleasantly surprised when I realized the sound had been replaced by what I found to be a really kick-ass piece of music. I was totally blown away. Luckily, in the comment section, someone had already asked about the music. The response: E.S. Postuhumus-Pompeii.


I immediately did a search on Google and determined that E.S. Posthumus was the name of the group, and Pompeii was the name of the piece. I then went to my SonyConnect account and searched for it. Oh the joy. They had the track. I listened to the samples of the other tracks on the album and decided to get the whole thing. It's one of the best albums I've heard in awhile. Some might call it a mix between rock & classical. I don't know... I just like the way their stuff sounds.

I've run across some really good "home-made" videos on youtube that use Pompeii, ranging from spliced together clips of the lightsabre duels from the final Star Wars movie to Asajj Ventress vs. Anakin Skywalker to the new Battlestar Galactica to Final Fantasy.

From a video by A-ha to youtube.com to Shaolin Soccer to Pompeii by E.S. Posthumus.

What will be the next link...?



6 Comments:

  • At 9:26 PM, February 23, 2007, Blogger caninecologne said…

    ah the joys of you-tube, which have recently been dashed by viacom which directed you-tube to take down 100,000+ videos! damn them! all the videos i listed as my favorites are now unavailable, including a few i posted on my own blog. turns out that those are copyrighted and therefore, not allowed to be shown on you-tube. check again dude and see if your a-ha video is on you tube. i bet it's not.

    anyways, i admire your tenacity in wanting to find out songs/artists -i can relate.

     
  • At 3:11 PM, February 24, 2007, Blogger HotFudge said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:35 PM, February 24, 2007, Blogger HotFudge said…

    I've been listening to "Creed" CD's alot on my way to work in the mornings. I'm glad their videos are on youtube.com. I remember when they feel asleep while performing at one of their concerts and the fans wanted their money back. As a fan I would of been pissed and wanted my money back too. I was disapointed to hear that they had broken up. I was looking forward to seeing how they would have evolved as a group.

     
  • At 2:15 PM, February 25, 2007, Blogger HotFudge said…

    Listened to Pompeii on our way to dinner last night. Hmmm, interesting and unique sound.

    I like it!

    My way of describing Pompeii would be: Classical-Rock with a hint of Goth & Grundge. Their sound is similiar to Evanescence.

     
  • At 11:14 PM, March 04, 2007, Blogger Mulysa said…

    hey - i just found your song through "i tunes" (i love i tunes...)

    i can see how you love it. it suits you...

     
  • At 10:12 PM, March 12, 2007, Blogger mikshir said…

    I finally followed your trail to that song. Yar, it's totally you. Diggin it tho.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home