SCREGMAN SAYS...

THIS IS MY GAME... SUCKING THE MARROW FROM THE BONES OF LIFE... ONE BONE AT A TIME...

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

MOLESKINE: EVOLUTION...


Part the Second

I know...

I know I've already written about Moleskines, but don't worry. I'll try not to be repetitive. You see, I've used the Moleskine for over one year now, and so feel compelled to expand on how my use of these little gems has evolved. And besides, I'm sure not everyone uses Moleskines in the same way...

First, I've restricted my usage to the 3.5" x 5.5" Moleskine. It is the most compact, and therefore, the easiest to carry around. There are larger ones out there. I don't think I'll ever try these. I just don't want to carry more than I have to. The very first Moleskines I bought were kind of an "oops". I bought the sketchbooks (I think 4 of them) because they were the only ones I saw. As you may assume, the paper in the sketchbooks is more for drawing and art as opposed to writing. Nonetheless, I have since filled two of these sketchbooks with writing. I attempted a few sketches, but... ICK... It was horrible... I do not believe I will ever draw or sketch again...

----------------------------------------

The Grid
There is a Moleskine where the paper has a grid: the Squared Notebook. I experimented with this notebook by trying to turn it into a sketch book. But I cheated. For example, I wanted to "draw" a picture of my old Sentra. So, I took a picture of it, downloaded the picture to my computer, then superimposed a grid onto the picture, thus, making it easier for me to draw the car. As much as I enjoyed doing this, it still took a lot of time and required me to be at a computer. I did a few of these drawings and liked how they came out, but the effort and time involved... Ah well... Perhaps I'll give it a shot again someday, but for now, I cannot allocate any time to such endeavors. A pity...

I did find another use for the Squared Notebook. I have turned it into my checkbook register. And I like it much better than the pre-printed registers that come with personal checks.

The Plain
There is the Plain Notebook. Just a bunch of blank pages. I have several of these but haven't used them yet.

The Ruled
I believe this is my favorite Moleskine: the Ruled Notebook. This one has the lines that I'm so used to when I'm writing. Some might argue that the lines are "restrictive". Perhaps, but maybe I need those restrictions. I like the lines. Without lines, my writing tends to go all over the place. My penmanship is bad enough as it is. I hate when I've written something down and then have trouble reading it later. The lines are good for me. At least I can have my writing on straight lines. [I WILL make use of the Plain Notebooks, but I suspect I will be sticking with the Ruled Notebook once I've used all the Plains.]

---------------------------------------------------

Aside from thoughts and observations, I wanted to be able to refer to something where I'd written just daily activities (eg work, movies seen, errands ran, etc). I remember TofU showing me a little pocket calender over the Holidays of 2004. I liked the idea and bought one for the 2005 year. Unfortunately, its usage fell to the wayside as I found it sometimes too small to accomodate my daily activities, especially if it was a busy day. Then, I ran across Moleskine's version of the daily diary. I tried it out, but found it just a tad thicker (and heavier) than I prefer. Also, it seemed a gross waste of space. Each page was dedicated to a day of the year. A lot of the time, I didn't need all that space. On average, perhaps 3-6 lines. Thus, there was a lot of unused space per page. So... the Moleskine Daily Diary also went by the wayside.

My quandry, then: the little pocket calender did not have enough space, and the daily diary had too much space.

Now it is 2006. How has my Moleskine usage evolved?

I am actively using 3 separate Moleskines.

Moleskine #1: For daily events only. No deep thoughts, no ScregMan soapbox ravings, no moments of clarity... just daily events (eg went to work..., saw this movie... ate here... went shopping... etc). Even if I had a boring, uneventful day, I must write something for every day of the year. And at least I'm not restricted and there is no page space wasted. So far I'm doing okay. My fear is letting a few days slip by and then trying to recall what happened. Hasn't happened yet, though...

Moleskine #2: For my deeper, more indepth thoughts, rants, and raves. Usually write in this one in restaurants or movie theatres or in my car. The inner pocket also serves well as a temporary wallet. If I was too lazy to bring a lunch from home, I usually end up going to one of the fast-food places near my office. Instead of carrying my full-on "Scregie Bag", I'll throw some cash, my ID, and one credit card into the inner pocket of my Moleskine.

Moleskine #3: The Squared Notebook as my official check register. Depending on the number of transactions, I may be able to fit several years into one book.

Ironically, the frequency of me writing in my Moleskine has dropped (slightly) as a result of joining the blogging community. Nonetheless, my Moleskines are always with me.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:39 PM, February 09, 2006, Blogger mikshir said…

    heh, i've had a long involved post in the works concerning this very topic, complete with pictures diagrams and all. ah if only i was dedicated enough to do that about my forthcoming bidet demonstrations.

     
  • At 11:03 PM, February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to agree with you regarding ruled vs unruled. There's something that satisfies my soul to see the neatly aligned lists of things to do. I detest squiggly, umplumb lines that sink towards the lower right-hand side of the page.

    My current favorite is a spiral bound hard cover notebook that has a pocket on the inside cover. The spiral is the perfect place to stick in my favorite gel pen (side note, I bought the entire stock that Office Depot carried when I saw they were clearancing them out. Egad! Why didn't my favorite undermaker give me the same advance notice before discontinuing the world's only style of thong underwear that didn't silently mock my ass?)

    However, it serves me well since I live in mar. I don't have to lug it around too much. I write my to do list from the front to back. Once it need to flip to a new set of pages, I transfer everything to the next open set of pages and draw a diagonal line across the old pages, so when flipping through, I can easily find the current pages.

     
  • At 10:19 PM, February 10, 2006, Blogger Kilatzin said…

    hey all,

    my moleskine rides the back of my flat and (for lotus's enjoyment) hairy ass. I whip it out whenever I have a spare moment to work on set design ideas for the play I'm working on. It's been very handy. And if I'm ever stuck somewhere with some time to kill (which seems to happen a lot . . . for example, getting my oil changed), I now have a productive way of killing it.

     
  • At 7:25 AM, February 13, 2006, Blogger mikshir said…

    I'm not sure if it's a bad thing or not just yet, but my iPod nano has curtailed my moleskine entries a bit. At airports and such, I've found listening to a decent story a more effective time-waster partly because it's much more effortless. i mean, who wants to really have to think and be conscious while on a trip or waiting in line. It's also more convenient since I'm not confined, I can go walking, shopping, etc. while listening but not while writing. I guess it's a matter of making the best use of the places and times.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, February 16, 2006, Blogger ScregMan said…

    This is true, Tofu. Much less effort involved when listening to music or an audio book.

    I think it's a mood thing, too. Sometimes I'm more in the mood to write as opposed to listen, and sometimes vice-versa.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home