SCREGMAN SAYS...

THIS IS MY GAME... SUCKING THE MARROW FROM THE BONES OF LIFE... ONE BONE AT A TIME...

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

OF PENCILS AND PENS...


I'm blogging on this topic as a result of part of Lotus' comment to my latest Moleskine blog. Lotus mentions how she bought the entire stock of her favorite gel pens from Office Depot when she learned they were discontinuing the pen. This got me thinking about how my use of writing implements has evolved over the years.

Way back, [when I was just a lad,] I remember writing with pencils, some with erasers, some without. Way back when the paper that we used in school was that cheap shit stuff where erasing actually removed/thinned out the paper. If one erased enough in one spot, one could actually create a hole in the paper. Or maybe it was the quality of the eraser? Or maybe a bit of both. Anyway, I also remember having to get up and go to the community pencil sharpener in the corner of the classroom. The ole' wooden pencil went to the wayside as soon as I discovered the mechanical pencil. I used it for years, especially when I was heavily into sketching/drawing. I own two mechanical pencils at the moment, but hardly ever use them. For the most part, I have converted over to pens.

Erasable pens... A novel idea and I think they still exist, but I never did like the flow. Too "bumpy" for me. On a quick tangent, I also do not like white-out. I have a lot of trouble with brushing the correct amount of white-out onto an error, especially if the error is small. Then, what I'm stuck with is a larger than needed blob of white-out on my document. The kind where my pen will just dig a trench as opposed to writing smoothly over it.

It's so hard to find a good writing pen. I've tried many over the years. [Sorry Lotus... for some reason, I just don't like the way a gel pen feels. Truth be told, though, I think it was one of your pens you'd left at Mulysa's place that I liked. It was a gel pen, but it smeared in my Moleskine.] What annoys me is an inconsistency in certain pens. In the past, I have come across pens that really feel good when I'm writing. But when I try another pen of the same brand and make, the feel is not as good. [This inconsistency does not make sense to me. If a particular pen writes really well, shouldn't another pen of the exact brand and type write just as well?] This went on for many a year. Me just trying to find that perfect pen... the perfect brand and make that would consistently provide a good writing experience. I'm sure there are those who could care less what a pen "feels" like. But I can't stand it when a black pen is really a dark shade of gray. I hate it when I have to press extra hard to get a pen to write. I hate it when a pen has that "rough" feeling as I'm writing. No... I want the ink to flow smoothly, almost effortlessly...

So what do I currently use? What have I found?

One of my current Moleskines is the sketchbook. Therefore, the paper is thicker and the texture is different. For this, I really like the feel of the Pilot "Precise V5 Rolling Ball (Extra Fine)" Pen. Really smooth in my opinion. Unfortunately, this is the only time I will use this pen. It "bleeds" thru to the other side when I've tried using it on regular paper (eg the Moleskine Ruled Notebook). And it doesn't feel quite right on regular paper.

The other pen I'm hooked on is the Papermate "DynaGrip" pen. It is a ball-point. Out of all the many pens I've tried, I have yet to be let down by this one. I remember the first time I used it: When HotFudge and I were doing some paperwork at the sales office for our current home, it was this pen I used. [In fact, I swiped it from the office.] I've used the pen ever since. So far, this pen has not let me down. It is this brand of pen I brought to Spain.

I usually write in black or blue. As a technicality, I've heard that blue is good for signing documents. At least you (or whoever else might look at it) will be able to tell it's an original signature. Medium is what I usually use, but I find fine works better on NCR type paper. In conjunction with the pen, however, is my need for a "soft" surface. When I say "soft", I mean I don't like writing on one sheet of paper on a desk. I want several sheets below my sheet. No pen has ever felt right to me while I was writing with no "cushion" of papers underneath.

I am very monogamous when it comes to pens. I know lots of people who have tons of pens at home or in their office, and they wouldn't care about losing a pen. They'll just grab another pen regardless of brand or type. Not I. I make a special effort not to lose my pen(s). For me, there is something quite satisfying about using a pen to the very last drop. During my trip to Spain, I did so much writing that I could actually see the ink in my pen going down on a daily basis.

I have several boxes (12 pens each) at home that I've bought at Office Depot. Hopefully pens don't have a shelf-life. It'll take me awhile to use all of them, but, like Lotus, I too am fearful they may someday discontinue this particular pen. There is nothing more frustrating than the discontinuation of a product you've come to love. Everytime I pass an Office Depot (or Staples), I wonder if I should purchase another pack... just in case...


17 Comments:

  • At 9:00 PM, February 14, 2006, Blogger mikshir said…

    I started off using those Pilot G-2 gel pens when I started using Moleskines. I actually liked the pens because the ink is really nice and black whereas ballpoints tend to look the color of a black tee shirt that's been worn and washed repeatedly for 10 years. Sadly, I prefer the finer 0.5 pitch pens because of the size of my pocket calender but the 0.7 I know write nicer.

    I have since abandoned both in favor of the Pilot P-500's because although clickers are convenient, they have this knack of clicking open in my pocket and causing ink stains. This has bit me more than once. The P-500's on the other hand are capped and also have a finer point. They don't skip as much as I would have expected too.

    I've always had a little bias against ballpoints but I have found they write quite nicely on the Moleskine paper (normal). I still won't use them though.

    RE smearing... yes this is a problem with gel pens. they actually dry quicker than ballpoints but are easier to smear.

    Truth be told I haven't found the end-all be-all of pens just yet. Only ones that are pretty good.

    As for pencils, you may be surprised to know that I cary one at all times (almost) these days now that I found the perfect pencil cap. I may write about it.

     
  • At 7:41 PM, February 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree that the gel pen tends to smear quickly on less absorbent paper. Thta's why I avoid slick/shiny paper. That's one way to get around it. If you can't go over the mountain, go around, or tunnel through. I just love my gel pens! I do keep a spare ball point around for those times when the gel won't work.

    The gel gives such a smooth, gliding satisfaction. And only blue ink will suffice. For some reason I despise black ink. It's so somber, dreary. There's no 'pop.'

    Totally agree with the cushioned writing surface, there must be padding!

     
  • At 1:09 PM, February 16, 2006, Blogger ScregMan said…

    Even though I use black or blue ink, I gotta go with Lotus on the blue. For me, blue ink does stand out more. It just seems more "vibrant" on paper. Hmmm... Now that I think about it, I'll probably go totally blue once I've used all my black pens.

    And if I'm editing some printed material, I have to, have to, have to use a red pen.

     
  • At 8:13 PM, February 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just wondering... what are you editing?

     
  • At 4:09 AM, February 17, 2006, Blogger Kilatzin said…

    my fav pens are the koh-i-noor rapidograph pens. use it strictly for drawing my blog strip. they're technical pens and are a pain in the butt to refill. but i haven't found anything better in regards to quality of thiness/thickness of line. currently use a .3 for the thin line, and a 1.20 for the thick line.

    aside from that, i've never been too keen on one pen vs. another. i agree with screg on the red for editing, but i've never been a fan of the blue. i guess aesthetically, 'black' says 'ink' to me.

     
  • At 7:45 AM, February 22, 2006, Blogger Mulysa said…

    omg, you all are hilarious!!!

    i can only say that the pens i REALLY don't like are pens that start writing, and then sputter along as one tries to write... sor some odd reason, these pens tend to be from banks...

     
  • At 2:01 PM, February 22, 2006, Blogger mikshir said…

    One thing I'm afraid of with ballpoint pens, particularly cheap ones, is the fact that they can fade easily. I have a hand written note from a friend while at a conference many years ago that is now practically blank. I can only still read it because of the indentation created from pressing pen to paper instead of from the ink.

    For ephemeral stuff, this is probably ok, but I now look for archival ink, which gel-ink happens to be though there are many others.

    I agree, sputtering pens annoy me. I also hate the little globs of ink that build up on the tip and get jostled free while writing creating little brail patterns in your script.

     
  • At 2:27 PM, February 22, 2006, Blogger ScregMan said…

    Lotus: Sometimes I proofread memos, letters, student bulletins and the like. Several years ago, I helped type and proofread a paper that an instructor was doing for her doctoral degree. In my opinion, red ink just stands out better in terms of editing/proofing...

    Of course, when I'm writing in my Moleskine, I am also editing (or should I say "skewing") my life, observations, and situations in such a way as to make myself seem bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, etc. than I really am...

    Hmmm... I find TofU's last comment slightly disturbing. I hate to think that my Moleskines may literally go blank 10-15 years from now...

    Perhaps that's incentive enough to invest in archival ink...

     
  • At 8:55 PM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, faded ink sucks. Some store, which one escapes me at the moment, uses shitty ink for printing receipts. Probably on purpose so you can't returns things. The ink fades into nothingness.

     
  • At 3:48 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Mulysa said…

    at least one of those stores would be home depot. i've saved EVERY reciept from there (you and shogun know - you both helped me organize them for taxes, remember?) and the ones from years ago are totally faded...

     
  • At 8:08 AM, February 24, 2006, Blogger ScregMan said…

    -SIGH-

    Stopped by Office Depot...

    Giving the Pilot G-2 05 a try. Never did I consider the possibility of ink fading. Nor would I ever have linked the fading of receipt ink to an even more devious business plot to deprive a consumer of a refund or return...

    Noticed other pens that didn't exactly say "archival", but "acid-free". Is "acid-free" the same as "archive"? There was another pen whose ink boasted being resistant to check fraud practices. Ink actually bonds/sinks into the check paper so it can't be "washed" off.

    All I want to do is safely "archive" my Moleskine writings...

     
  • At 9:19 PM, February 28, 2006, Blogger mikshir said…

    Screg, I know the frustration. I know do one of two things. I look up specific pens on the internet or purchase only pens that explicitly say "archival". I tend to follow the word-of-mouth advice from forms of online places I frequent versus just look for packaging. Most ball-points don't say archival and after reading the history of Bic, I can see why they are both cheap and popular but are shunned universially by pen afficionados. I won't go so far as to use fountain pens which is the predominant favorite (though I used them before with enthusiasm) due to their less-than-portable nature. So my first forays were with gel inc pen which were explicitely archival. But there are several types of these and I've only within the last few months switched to a different model. I do like the very rich blackness of the gel ink pens though. It does involve some training concerning the drying time though. The pen I use now is faster and safer than the previous one. It's the pilot p500 and is a compromise between convenience and practicality. Something to consider.

     
  • At 9:21 PM, February 28, 2006, Blogger mikshir said…

    K, I used to have a set of rapidograph pens back when I was more prolific in the graphics department. I did love them. Some of my saved items are from using the 0.1 ultrafine pens. So wonderful they were. But they were difficult to reprorduce, say with a copier. I've grown to appreciate the thicker pens.

     
  • At 7:47 AM, March 02, 2006, Blogger mikshir said…

    Came across this link...

    http://tinyurl.com/rqs9m

    I regret saying that even though I've been carrying a pencil for a month now and have barely used it. Ah well.

     
  • At 7:31 PM, March 02, 2006, Blogger Kilatzin said…

    mikshir, i found that i don't have a problem with the rapidographs if i scan them at a relatively high resolution. copiers can be used as a good and quick distression tool.

     
  • At 10:52 PM, March 02, 2006, Blogger mikshir said…

    kil, I'm convinced you're right. i was speaking of back in the high school era. I had a couple literary mag drawings that were repro'd rather badly. with the right content, repro blur and blotch can be used to good effect I'll admit. But I didn't have that in mind at the time. today I guess wouldn't have a problem with it but i've since let the whole hobby slide horribly.

     
  • At 8:09 AM, March 03, 2006, Blogger ScregMan said…

    TofU: I took the time to read the sandscribbler's commentary on his search for the perfect pen for his Moleskine...

    I was quite impressed with the criteria he used and how he presented his findings...

    Small world. Looks like he's using the same pen I'm using. I do like the Pilot G-2 5 so far. I'm still writing in my last sketchbook. My concern when I finally switch to the notebook will be the "bleeding" through to the other side of a page. We'll see how it goes...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home